Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Cock Blocked

Saturday 11 February was my 10th gig in Bar Cock. It promised to be my biggest gig there yet due to the large number of guests from the ARCO festival. ARCO is a contemporary arts festival that is held every February in Madrid. The director of the festival is very good friends with the owners of Bar Cock so the bar hosts a week long party for all of the artists and people involved with the festival, culminating in a private party on Sunday night.

Instead of being a great night and my best gig yet, it turned out to be a disaster and one of my worst gigs ever. I was so frustrated that I walked out early and have subsequently informed the bar that I no longer wish to continue playing there.

Here is what happened:

The night started out with loads of promise. I arrived early, set my things up and began playing at 11:45 to a larger than normal crowd. For the first hour I was feeling really good - the bar was filling up and I was getting a good reaction to the music I was playing. At about 1:30 (when the bar was packed and a large queue had formed at the door) I decided to lift the tempo a bit. No sooner had I progressed the music slightly then I was told to turn it down by one of the owners. Now, I must point out that I have never had a very good relationship with this person. She is abrupt, rude and never satisfied with anything that is happening in the bar. She also happens to be the aunt of my friend who bartends there and who got me the gig in the first place.

But, I was having fun and decided to continue undeterred. After turning down the music I waited about 3 or 4 minutes and turned it up again (which is what I usually did when she complained). I make it a habit to walk around the floor about once every 30 minutes during a gig. I like to listen to how things sound and look for any responses from the crowd to what is being played. I am always aware of the importance of keeping the music at an appropriate volume. It should never be so loud that you have to shout to the person next to you but it should never be so quiet that you can't hear it above the level of conversation. In other words, you should hear exactly what is happening without it being intrusive.

Another few minutes and about 2 or 3 songs passed when the owner approached me once again. She demanded the music be turned down again and also asked me to change what I was playing. She wanted to hear something that was in her words a bit less "boom boom boom". I looked at her in disbelief and asked her what she meant. She told me that everyone was very drunk and that she didn't want them to get too excited. She wanted me to play something more relaxing so that things would not get too out of hand. Still shocked (and now offended) I asked her if she knew that we were in a bar (probably not the best response). I then told her that it was the peak of the night, everyone was enjoying themselves and for me to play anything other than what I was would be ridiculous (perhaps another bad response). I concluded by asking her if she wanted everyone to fall asleep (yet another one). I say these were not the best responses that I could have made but I do not regret saying any of them. Despite the fact that she is the owner I do not take kindly to being told how to DJ. However, I told her that I would try to change directions slightly and keep in mind what she had said.

Another few minutes and 2 or 3 more songs passed when she came back for a third time. Again she started by asking if I knew who she was and demanded that I stop playing the type of music I was playing and insisted that I turn it down. This time when she walked away I stopped the music completely (definitely a bad response). It took about 5 minutes but she returned asking me what I was doing. I told her that if she was going to insist I keep the volume at an inaudible level and tell me what to play then there was no point in me being there (yep - another bad one). After telling me that if I did not like it I did not have to return again, she told me that she was concerned because the police were outside and she did not want any problems. I concurred that I didn't want any problems with the police either and decided to try one more time to appease her. At this point, I had totally lost my concentration and momentum and had no idea what to do. It was after 3:30 but still too early to really start winding things down. I struggled for a few minutes but tried to carry on with music and a volume level that I thought were appropriate.

When she returned for a fourth time, still complaining about the volume I stopped the music and told her that I was leaving. I was replaced by an iPod that was turned down so low there was no chance of hearing anything above the crowd. They really might as well just tie a string with a brick attached to the mixer...

After reflecting on these events, it was with a heavy heart that I told my bartending friend that I would not be returning to Bar Cock. Unfortunately, this is a struggle I can not win but it is one that I will not sacrifice my musical taste or beliefs for either. I suppose you could put everything down to "artistic differences".

Sadly, my residence only lasted for 10 gigs in Bar Cock but I (more or less) enjoyed my time there and learned a lot. At least I am walking away knowing that I played the music my way.

The final setlist was:

01. Hello, It's Me - John Legend
02. Joy (Edit) - Isaac Hayes
03. Midnight And You - Love Unlimited Orchestra
04. Love's Theme - Love Unlimited Orchestra
05. Above The Clouds - Paul Weller
06. Let's Stay Together - Al Green
07. Breezin' - Boris Gardiner
08. You Know How To Make Me - Two Kings In A Cipher
09. I Get The Sweetest Feeling - Jackie Wilson
10. Every Kinda People - Jo O'Meara
11. Be My Baby - The Ronettes
12. (I Can) Deal With That - Dee Edwards
13. Juicy - Notorious BIG
14. Superstition - Stevie Wonder
15. All Night Long (12" Version) - Mary Jane Girls
16. Outstanding (12" Version) - The Gap Band
17. Hate It Or Love It - The Game ft 50 Cent
18. Thinking Of You - Sister Sledge
19. Dancing Queen - Abba
20. Kung Fu Fighting - Karl Douglas
21. Rock The Boat - The Hues Corporation
22. Stayin' Alive - Bee Gees
23. Get Up (I Feel Like Being A Sex Machine) - James Brown
24. Brick House - The Commodores
25. Rock Your Body - Justin Timberlake
26. If You Need A Man - Bon Garcon
27. Windy City Theme (I'll Tell You What It Is Later) - Chi-Sound Orchestra
28. Band Of Gold - Freda Payne
29. Brothers Gonna Work It Out - Willie Hutch
30. (Oh Lord) Take Me Back - SugaRush Beat Company
31. Betcha She Don't Love You - Evelyn King
32. Mama Used To Say - Junior
33. Caribbean Queen (No More Love On The Run) - Billy Ocean
34. Da Ya Think I'm Sexy? - Rod Stewart
35. I'm Coming Out - Diana Ross
36. Fashion - David Bowie
37. Miss You - The Rolling Stones
38. Pop Muzik - M
39. Brazil 2030 (St Barth Mix) - Oscar
40. Be Right There - Brother Of Soul
41. Summer Sun (Markus Enochson Remix) - Koop
42. All I Need (Jimpster Remix) - Blue Six
43. Erotic City - Supafly ft Deni Hines
44. At Night (Afterlife Mix) - Shakedown
45. Men Senara - Bebe
46. To Be In Love - Tito Puente & India
47. Nem Vem Que Nao Tem - Wilson Simonal
48. Teenage Kicks - Nouvelle Vague
49. 6 Underground - Sneaker Pimps
50. Whatever, Whenever - Groove Armada
51. History Repeating - Propellerheads ft Shirley Bassey
52. Guitarra G (White Label Remix) - G-Club ft Banda Sonora

53. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out - The Smiths
54. Just Like Heaven - The Cure

Rock on...

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shit, now I realize you CAN post comments here without registering, duh. Anyway, sorry pal. Music is definitely not a first priority at the Cock unfortunately, and I know they have had serious problems with neighbours, in fact the boss was going to court this morning. And I beleive it was 4 in the morning when the shit hit the fan. And thanks again for the CD, that Wilson Simonal track is a favorite.
Javier

1:10 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unrelated, so excuse me, but did I tell you that Heiner (the door-man at the Cock) runs half marathons too? I meant to tell you one of these days, just in case you´re looking for someone to run with. I could as well hook you up with a small group of Spanish doctors to mountain bike in the sierra on weekends, if you´re interested. I should start practicing sports too by now (it´s my new year resolution after all), but I think I´d rather buy myself that kayak I´ve long been looking for and go row my boat this spring on Sundays.
Cheers
Javier

* Hey, at least you can say you´ve DJed the Cock on its second most crowded day of the year (in a frustrated way, but anyway) and that you´ve DJed for the Prince nontheless. :)

1:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry lad, plenty more places to go. You're bigger than that cock! You've plenty of experience. Keep the faith!

9:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home