Friday, August 25, 2006

My Computer Is OK - Everything In Its Right Place (Again)



I went to the Radiohead gig in Marley Park last night. It was both my first time seeing them and my first time in the venue. Both were good but not great.

Marley Park is a good spot for a gig and the weather was good which meant that everything was dry. The only problem was that there was only one area to buy beer which meant that the queues were miles long which meant that it was nearly impossible to drink unless you wanted to miss the gig.

Radiohead were good. They sounded amazing and the stage / light show was brilliant. The back of the stage consisted of 10 square(ish) screens and there were two giant screens on either side of the stage that were divided into 4 smaller screens. For almost the entire gig all 18 screens featured odd angle shots of the band and equipment. There were cameras everywhere and the views changed for nearly every song. There were some shots of Thom singing from above his head and there were a lot of shots of the bands' hands while they played.

The lighting also matched the mood of each song almost perfectly. For the more up-beat songs they used red and orange lighting for the screens and for the slower, (at times more depressing) songs they used pale blues, yellows and greens for the screens.

The setlist was pretty diverse and included some new tracks which were a bit slow. I would have preferred to hear a bit more from The Bends but they did play a few tracks from OK Computer.

The setlist was:

01. Airbag
02. 2+2=5
03. The National Anthem
04. My Iron Lung
05. Morning Bell
06. Videotape
07. Nude
08. There There
09. The Gloaming
10. Pyramid Song
11. Paranoid Android
12. Just
13.All I Need
14. Idioteque
15. Lucky
16. How To Disappear Completely

Encore 1:
17. Like Spinning Plates
18. Bangers 'n Mash
19. Karma Police

Encore 2:
20. Everything In Its Right Place
21. Creep

I particularly enjoyed Morning Bell, Paranoid Android, Idioteque and both encores.

In other news, my laptop died again on Monday night. It happens almost like clock work - every 6 months it just gives up the ghost. Fortunately, I learned my lesson (the hard way) with my previous machine. It was a Gateway and I did not have a warranty for it. After only a year and a half the motherboard went and I was screwed. I now have a Dell Inspiron 5150 with a full next day warranty. Despite the bitter luck I have had in the last two years and the need to replace 2 screens, 2 motherboards and the memory the service from Dell has been fantastic.

So, I made the call on Tuesday and Wednesday morning I had perfectly running machine again fully kitted with a new motherboard and memory. That should keep me going until January or February...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home