Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Digital Kicks 002

Digital Kicks is back and can be heard here!

Like the first mix this was recorded on the 6th of April on a flight from Madrid back to Dublin. This file is also in mp3 format with a bitrate of 192kbps but is slightly longer at 64 minutes and about 88mb.

I had a window seat for the flight which is very unusual as I always ask for an aisle seat but I was distracted with something during check-in and just took the seat I was assigned. I am really glad I did - I had a fantastic view of the sunset during most of this recording and some of the songs suited the moment perfectly, in particular Above The Clouds.

This mix begins in a slightly similar vein as the first one but is much more upbeat throughout and has a slightly more positive feel to it.

The first two tracks are by DJ Shadow (aka Josh Davis) and are featured on the 10th anniversary Deluxe Edition of Endtroducing. They are both very short but offer a taste of the brilliance that exudes from every moment of that incredible album.

The third track is Slow Jamz by Kanye West and although I put one of his tracks in the first mix, I have been listening to this track a lot lately. And besides he IS the sharpest dressed mofo in rap at the moment.

The next track is an absolute classic: I Get The Sweetest Feeling by Jackie Wilson. You can NOT listen to this song without grinning ear to ear and tapping your feet.

The next two songs Amore (I Love You) and Summer Sun (Markus Enochson Remix) are both featured on a compilation called Brazilectro (Session 4). It is a great series of CDs that come with the tag Latin flavoured club tunes. Both of them are warm weather type of tracks and go perfectly with a setting sun.

Next, I lifted two songs from the last Hed Kandi compilaton called Nu Cool. It was the first new release under this name in several years and I was deligthed to see it as the previous editions never failed to please. Ralph Myerz & The Jack Herren Band do LIPSTICK and Blue Six provide the Jimpster Remix of All I Need. Both songs are of the pre-club variety and would sound perfect in a bar like Dakota.

The ninth track is another Paul Weller tune and was one of my favourites to open with while playing at Bar Cock. Above The Clouds is also the ideal song to listen to at 30,000 feet with the sun setting.

The next song Bari Track by Doni Burdick is a bit of a mystery. I have no idea where I got it from or anything about it. However, it is a great piece of Northern Soul that would make any true mod proud.

Son Of Shaft by The Bar-Kays is next. This song is from a funk compilation called Cold Sweat and takes a slight twist on the original Shaft by Isaac Hayes. The Bar-Kays were the original Stax Records studio band and played on most of the singles released on the label in the mid 1960s. Tragically, most of the original members were killed in the same plane crash as Otis Redding in December 1967 while touring. This song was recorded several years later with new musicians.

The next track is 11 O'Clock Tick Tock by U2 and is quite a sharp turn in style but I like it. My life has been full of sharp turns recently and sometimes they are good for you. I picked up this track and the following three (Alternative Ulster, Where's Me Jumper? and Punk Rock Girl) on Dave Fanning's Fab 50 CD. All of them are post-punk gems that would have any crowd jumping at the end of the night.

Bobby McFerrin of Don't Worry Be Happy fame did a cover of Drive My Car by The Beatles that I found on a Reprise release of jazz and lounge cover songs. Normally I would never consider listening to him but this track is brilliant.

The final two songs are house and they are mixed for your dancing pleasure. First is a Derrick Carter Remix of Tera Deva's Fresh Start that has some really funky and unusual tempo changes. The last track is simply called The Jam and was done by DJ/Producer Miguel Migs. He is a bit of a legend in the deep house scene and always makes soulful music suited for both the living room and the dance floor.

Here is the full tracklisting and the corresponding start times in the mix:

01. Best Foot Forward (Alternate Version) - DJ Shadow / 0:00
02. Changeling (Original Demo Excerpt) - DJ Shadow / 1:16
03. Slow Jamz / Kanye West ft Twista & Jamie Foxx / 2:13
04. I Get The Sweetest Feeling - Jackie Wilson / 7:26
05. Amore (I Love You) - Louie Austen / 10:17
06. Summer Sun (Markus Enochson Remix) - Koop / 15:07
07. LIPSTICK - Ralph Myerz & The Jack Herren Band / 20:16
08. All I Need (Jimpster Remix) - Blue Six / 23:27
09. Above The Clouds - Paul Weller / 28:55
10. Bari Track - Doni Burdick / 32:37
11. Son Of Shaft - The Bar-Kays / 35:36
12. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock - U2 / 38:57
13. Alternative Ulster - Stiff Little Fingers / 43:06
14. Where's Me Jumper? - Sultans Of Ping FC / 45:47
15. Punk Rock Girl - The Dead Milkmen / 48:51
16. Drive My Car - Bobby McFerrin / 51:26
17. Fresh Start (Derrick Carter's All Hail The New Ugly Re-Dub) - Tera Deva / 54:04
18. The Jam - Miguel Migs / 58:35

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish my sound card worked so I could listen to this, I´ll do if I ever get it fixed, which I should. It sounds a pretty exciting mix, and what a cool thing to record it watching sunset from a plane. The punk in me loves "Alternative Ulster". If you bounce to Madrid one weekend I´d recommend you a bar I discovered the other day in Malasaña. It´s as ugly as all of them but the music is very nice, all of it blaxplotation ("The son of Shaft" was played the other night). It´s called Motherfaker, it´s in San Vicente Ferrer. The got a shop in Chueca too.

Cheers,
Javier

3:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home