Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Portable Kicks - 07 March 2006

I am constantly begging for, borrowing, stealing, buying, copying, digging for, discovering & stumbling across as many tunes as I can. This usually equates to about 120-180 new songs on my laptop every month. The following are some of the tunes that I am listening to this week on my iPod:

(I Can) Deal With That - Dee Edwards

I got this tune from a compilation called The Kings Of Funk that was compiled by RZA of the Wu-Tang Clan and a Scottish DJ named Keb Darge. This track is on the second disc and was chosen by Darge.

He is an old staple of the Northern Soul scene in the UK and a few years ago decided to get to work on a deep funk renaissance. Annoyed with the oversized afros & polyester suits that crept into the scene in the late 70s, he has introduced a whole new generation to the good stuff: the deep funk & soul of the late 60s & early 70s.

This tune is a fantastic laid back groove complete with lots of crackles and distortion. It was one that I played at my last few Bar Cock gigs after coming across it.

Another Day - Kings Of Tomorrow

A brilliant laid back soulful house tune taken from the album Trouble by Kings Of Tomorrow (AKA Sandy Rivera). This one suits the living room much better than the dance floor.

Esa Magia - Deep & Wide

Another chilled out house tune from the resident Cafe del Mar DJ Bruno & his mates under the name of Deep & Wide. I finally found an unmixed version of this tune on an album called Puzzle that Bruno released last year containing some of his solo stuff as well as tunes from the various projects he has been part of during the last couple of years.

The first time I heard this song was in 2001 after visiting Ibiza. I bought a mix CD by Bruno called Chill House Vol. 2 and it blew me away. This song & the rest of that album are what sparked my interest in DJing and helped me discover deep house music.

It's another tune for the living room...

Forever My Friend - Ray LaMontagne

A lovely little slice of Americana from the Acoustic 05 compilation. I know nothing about him other than this song is from his first album called Trouble.

The review of the album says that he sounds like Van Morrison, Neil Young, Hank Williams Jr & Ryan Adams all rolled into one. He also (according to some) makes James Blunt sound like a pub singer.

Gold Digger - Kanye West

A great tune from the preppiest dude in hip hop. I snatched it from my mate Ken and after some initial uncertainty I fell in love with it when we heard it at 4:00am in a bar on Leeson St.!

My Favourite Dress - The Wedding Present

This is probably my favourite song at the moment and I must give Paulo a great big thanks for it! I have been reading John Peel's biography and he was fanatical about these guys. So is Paulo and he was kind enough to let me copy some of their CDs 2 weeks ago.

It is taken from their debut album George Best and for me it is one of the standout tracks. On first listen, I thought that a lot of the album sounded the same but I have been sticking with it and the frantic, jangly, slightly-out-of-tune guitars are really starting to grow on me!

A great mid-80s English indie tune about lost love and seeing "a stranger's hand on my favourite dress".


Number 1 - Goldfrapp

This song is from the album Supernature and is quite a change of direction from their earlier chilled out stuff. It sounds like it is directly from 1979 and has keyboards that must surely make Gary Numan proud. One of the best new "new wave" tunes out there.

Polk Salad Annie - Tony Joe White

I came across this tune on a free compilation CD in Uncut magazine dedicated to John Peel. This dude is from Texas and all of his music is referred to as southern swamp rock. Pure qualiteeeee.

Razorblade - The Strokes

A tune from the new album First Impressions Of Earth. I find some of the album quite disappointing but this song really rocks. Even if you aren't a big Strokes fan, you should give it a listen because the chorus is sung exactly to the tune of "Mandy" by Barry Manilow (or as Homer once sang it "Andy").

Thinking Of You - Paul Weller

Another track from the Acoustic 05 compilation. The modfather does a stripped down, acoustic version of the Sister Sledge disco classic. Absolute magic...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should have told you before but anyway, I´ve been at my friend´s small record store called Bang! (after our fanzine) in calle Pez this last weekend while he is in London, my last day will be tomorrow morning, I might stay until 2,30 or until he arrives (whatever comes first). He´s got mostly vinyl, but you might like some of the music books or maybe strange DVDs, dunno. Cheers, Javier

10:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovin the wedding present!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rock on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Multiple scissor kicks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home