Thursday, June 15, 2006

ZCA - "The Barbecutie"

Summertime in Ireland. It is usually a mixed bag - you never know what will happen. It could be sunny, it could rain, it could be windy, it could hail, it could be 25 degrees or it could be 12. Thankfully for all of June (so far) the weather has been, well... it's been... really good! What I mean is really good by Irish standards: 20+ degrees and (more or less) sunny skies every day.

The good weather means that this summer rather than the barbecue season beginning in earnest it has kicked into full swing almost immediately. My friend Z had one last Saturday and I must admit it was probably the best barbie that I have ever been to. The weather was decent, the food was great, the drinks were flowing, the company was exceptional and of course there was lots and lots of music. First, a band played and they were great. They covered a lot of the chilled out, summertime pub-friendly tunes that you would love to hear while drinking beer in someone's back garden. After they finished, a couple of the lads decided to have an "impromptu" jam session. It was absolute class! They just played - no practice, no direction, no plan. Just quality musicianship and great music. Next followed a few traditional, acoustic songs and then it was time for the "superstar DJ" - me! Or DJ Kub, as I am now beginning to be known as.

What a night! I played for about 6.5 hours and it was so much fun. I started off with some upbeat jazz and then decided to play some lounge. I thought it might be suitable because it was still very early and everyone had just eaten. Little did I know that EVERY single woman there would absolutely love EVERY single song I played. So we danced & partied to Frank, Dean, Sammy, Dusty et al for nearly 2 hours while the sun set on a beautiful night. For me the highlight of the evening was just before dusk when I played 'Spill The Wine' by War and watched everyone blissfully dance, hands waving in the air.

The rain held off until the very end of the night (I think about 2am) but it was only a slight drizzle. Still one of the lads who had just arrived decided he would give me a hand by holding a very large patio umbrella over me and the laptop! It all went a bit 'Pete Tong' to be honest - there will people falling down, wine being drunk straight from the bottles, endless scissor kicks and people jumping around like idiots. Actually when I say people, I mean Paulo - aka "the muppet"! He followed up his wonderful performance by looking for some tunes to play on the laptop and somehow (I'm not sure how) destroying my play list for the night. He didn't delete it but it was no longer in the correct order when I looked at it on Sunday morning. Actually, to be fair it was probably a joint effort. I tend to forget how to work my computer and the software I mix with towards the end of a long night.

However, I was able to piece things back together and this is (more or less) the set I played:

01. Sookie Sookie - Grant Green
02. The Lady Is A Tramp - Buddy Greco
03. Fever - Peggy Lee
04. Magic Moments - Perry Como
05. Come Fly With Me - Frank Sinatra
06. A Lot Of Livin' To Do - Sammy Davis Jr
07. Mack The Knife - Louie Armstrong
08. Almost Like Being In Love - Vic Damone
09. Fly Me To The Moon - Julie London
10. Danke Shoen - Wayne Newton
11. A Swingin' Safari - Bert Kaempfert
12. Downtown - Petula Clark
13. Can't Take My Eyes Off You - Andy Williams
14. Ain't That A Kick In The Head - Dean Martin
15. These Boots Are Made For Walkin' - Nancy Sinatra
16. Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps - Doris Day
17. What The World Needs Is Love - Jackie De Shannon
18. I Say A Little Prayer - Aretha Franklin
19. Me & Mrs Jones - Billy Paul
20. Let's Stay Together - Al Green
21. More Peas - Fred Wesley & The JBs
22. California Soul - Marlena Shaw
23. Am I The Same Girl - Dusty Springfield
24. I Get The Sweetest Feeling - Jackie Wilson
25. (I Can) Deal With That - Dee Edwards
26. Get A Life (Album Mix) - Rae & Christian ft Bobby Womack
27. Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me) (Easy Mo Bee Remix) - The Temptations
28. Everybody Loves The Sunshine - Roy Ayers
29. Spill The Wine - War
30. Light My Fire - Astrud Gilberto
31. Nem Vem Que Nao Tem - Wilson Simonal
32. So Com Voce - Thievery Corporation
33. Fastlove (Summer Mix) - George Michael
34. Revival - Martine Girault
35. Summertime (DJ Jazzy Jeff's Mix) - Will Smith
36. Set Adrift On Memory Bliss - PM Dawn
37. Juicy - Notorious BIG
38. Little Red Corvette - Prince
39. Let's Get It On (Simpson & Dalto MPG Groove Mix) - Marvin Gaye
40. Superstition - Stevie Wonder
41. Thinking Of You (Album Mix) - Sister Sledge
42. Kung Fu Fighting - Karl Douglas
43. Dancing Queen - ABBA
44. More More More - Andrea True Connection
45. Night Fever - Bee Gees
46. Rock Your Body - Justin Timberlake
47. Brick House - The Commodores
48. Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin) - Sly & The Family Stone
49. Jungle Boogie - Kool & The Gang
50. Pick Up The Pieces - Average White Band
51. Get Up (I Feel Like Being A Sex Machine) - James Brown
52. Don't Joke With A Hungry Man - Quantic ft Spanky Wilson
53. Mr Big Stuff - Jean Knight
54. Crazy - Gnarls Barkley
55. Good Times - Chic
56. Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now - McFadden & Whitehead
57. Car Wash - Rose Royce
58. Rock With You - Michael Jackson
59. Got To Be Real (12" Version) - Cheryl Lynn
60. Whatcha Gonna Do With My Lovin' - Inner City
61. Belfast (Original Version) - Orbital
62. Pacific State (Original Album Mix) - 808 State
63. The Gift - Way Out West
64. All I Need (Jimpster Remix) - Blue Six
65. Free - Ultra Nate
66. Erotic City - Supafly ft Deni Hines
67. When Doves Cry - Prince
68. Loaded - Primal Scream
69. I'm Free - The Soup Dragons
70. Can You Dig It? - The Mock Turtles
71. There She Goes - The La's
72. Blister In The Sun - Violent Femmes
73. The Lovecats - The Cure
74. Here Comes Your Man - Pixies
75. Unbearable (Album Version) - The Wonder Stuff
76. Elevate My Mind - Stereo MCs
77. Soon (Andy Weatherall Mix) - My Bloody Valentine
78. Vertigo - U2
79. California Waiting - Kings Of Leon
80. Blitzkrieg Bop - The Ramones
81. United States Of Whatever - Liam Lynch
82. Totally Wired - The Fall
83. Cannonball - The Breeders
84. Lump - The Presidents Of The USA
85. 96 Tears - Inspiral Carpets
86. Fool's Gold - Stone Roses
87. Step On (Twistin' My Melon Mix) - Happy Mondays
88. Grey Cell Green - Ned's Atomic Dustbin
89. Scrawl - Ned's Atomic Dustbin
90. Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns 'N' Roses
91. Livin' On A Prayer - Bon Jovi
92. Back In Black - AC DC
93. Black Betty - Ram Jam
94. Rock And Roll - Led Zeppelin

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just one word: envidia. (Sounds like "perfidia", doesn´t it). I love bbqs but I never get a chance of attending. Here in Madrid you get 25 and 12 degrees at the same time (just in and out of the bus and in and out of Cock, do I hate air conditioning madmen).

2:23 pm  
Blogger Kub said...

Hey! This is a bit of a "family oriented" blog. Easy with the in and out of Cock remarks...

12:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,
What's with fookin "muppet" comment?!!!!!!!!! And I didn't fook up you're set list ya dirty rat! You did with you're noggin and you're paw up your swiss!!!

11:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home