Tuesday, June 06, 2006

London Town & Kub vs Keb

Wow. What a weekend...

3 nights in London, 10 pubs, 3 CD shops, 1 gig, a boat ride down the Thames and a chat with a legendary DJ.

There were so many funny moments during the weekend but this story has to be one of the best:

Sunday night we went to see Ned's Atomic Dustbin in The Forum. The sound wasn't great but NAD are one amazing band and they did not disappoint. Plus tins of Red Stripe for only £2 - qualiteee! My only bitterness was over the fact that they did not have any medium sized T shirts. Sometimes it's not easy being a weedy little man...

After the gig I coerced Paulo into going to a club to hear some funk & soul spun by
Keb Darge. After a bit of faffing about and some bickering over directions we found the club, paid our fivers in and the funk began.



There was probably only about 20 people in the whole place but I knew the music would be great and it was. I first heard of Keb when I picked up a compilation called The Kings Of Funk that he released with RZA of Wu Tang Clan - it totally blew me away. So, we are sitting in the club and I am telling Paulo about the CD and decided that I would go have a quick chat with the man. You know, say hello, tell him I appreciate the music, that I think his compilations are always great, etc...

Of course that is what I would have told him if I had been sober and a lot more sensible (like now). Instead, this is my best (and quite fuzzy recollection) of what I actually said to him:

Me: Dude, howya? I think you are great (shaking hands).

KD: Well, thanks very much.

Me: Do you know the compilation you did last year - The Kings Of Funk?

KD: Yes, of course.

Me: It was phenomenal. It blew me away. You are a legend!

KD: (Laughing) Well, I don't know about that. But thanks.

Me: No, seriously. You are a legend. An absolute leg-end!

KD: Well, not tonight I'm not. There is no one here. It's a bit shite really but it happens sometimes.

Me: Not to worry lad. You are a legend. A top man. A fookin' leg-end. I am fookin' tellin' you mon. A fookin' legend!

Now, all the while I am saying this I am pointing at him and gesticulating about how much he is the man, smiling and shaking my head. Paulo was watching from across the room and said he nearly wet himself laughing. Unfortunately, I think the rest of the club was watching as well as Paulo overheard some lads next to him saying "would you look at the state of your man, what a fucking lunatic".

Keb just continued to smile politely and look at me like I didn't have a bleedin' brain cell in me noggin. He then eventually excused himself to go and cue the next record. I'm pretty sure I threw in a few more leg-ends! and points just for good measure after he had walked away.

Later, when the club was closing, I ran into him again near the door but he wasn't gonna chance getting stuck in another conversation with me. He legged it outta there. I'm not even sure if he had all of his records with him!

So much for showing a bit of restraint and playing it cool...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home