Friday, November 17, 2006

The 'Gem' Tune

There is always one tune in every gig. The one that grabs people's attention. The one that makes them happy and decide to stay for another drink. The one that they remember when they tell their friends about the night. My mate refers to that song as the 'gem' - the one that he recognises from an entire 2 hours of music. And every good set needs at least one gem.

I played in Bia Bar again last night - it was my second gig at Soul Food World Beats and as far as I could tell it was a really good one. The bar was very busy and everyone was in great form. I was in a bit of a flap on the way in but I arrived (relatively) on time, set up quickly and got stuck into the tunes. I played about an hour or so of lounge and reggae because there were some people eating and I wanted to keep the manager and promoter happy. Then I moved into some funk for the second hour and threw in a few familiar songs to engage the crowd. As any good DJ would, I looked for reactions to the music and then played to two groups of people. One was a large group sitting right in front of me who were all smiles most of the night, nodding their heads and tapping their feet to the music. The second was a group of lads from the office who had come in to hear me play. Making one group of people really happy creates a positive response. And that response can become infectious and spread throughout the entire bar. That is what makes a really good gig. That and of course a few 'gems'.

The songs I played were:

01. Breakfast Club Di Milano - Giacomo Bondi
02. Back A Yard - The In Crowd
03. Nem Vem Que Nao Tem - Wilson Simonal
04. Scene At The Open Air Market - Thievery Corporation
05. Pass The Dutchie - Musical Youth
06. Teenage Kicks - Nouvelle Vague
07. Take Me Over - McKay
08. Long Shot Kick Da Bucket - Pioneers
09. Light My Fire - Astrud Gilberto
10. Los Palmas 7 - Madness
11. Lady (Acoustic Version) - Modjo
12. Flute Thing (45 Edit) - Seatrain
13. 54-46 (Was My Number) - Toots & The Maytals
14. Peckings - Ballistic Brothers
15. Daytripper - Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66
16. Spanish Grease - Willie Bobo
17. Funk Da Virada - Antonio Pinto & Ed Cortes
18. Limon En La Cabeza (Quantic Dub Mix) - Gecko Turner
19. Soul Bossa Nova (Original Mix) - Quincy Jones
20. Beat Goes On - All Seeing I
21. Anti Love Song - Betty Davis
22. One Nation Under A Groove - Chaka Demus & Pliers
23. Sunshine Of Your Love - Spanky Wilson
24. The Bottle - Gil Scott-Heron
25. A Fly In The Hand - Alice Russel
26. Kiss - Prince
27. Money In The Bag (K&S Remix) - Kraak & Smaak
28. I Changed My Mind (Stereo MC's Rattlesnake Mix) - Lyrics Born
29. I'm Free - The Soup Dragons
30. For Your Precious Love - Jestofunk
31. Groove Is In The Heart (12" Version) - Dee Lite
32. Bailando - Alaska Y Los Pegamoides
33. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' - Michael Jackson

2 Comments:

Blogger Kub said...

Well, I was taught to always be humble and modest in everything that I do.

In actual fact I am the greatest f*ckin' DJ that ever lived, but you already knew that.

9:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is far more impressive when others discover your good qualities without your help

1:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home