Monday, December 18, 2006

Lucky Number Seven?

I played my seventh Sitting Room gig last night and it was the last one of 2006. I was out with the work crowd on Thursday night, and then did some more hard core drinking both Friday and Saturday nights with my mates, so I was totally shattered as I walked to the bar. To be honest, I am looking forward to a few weeks without a gig to let my head clear a bit.

But it was a great night. From the beginning, there were always a few people in the bar that I knew and by the end of the night a decent little crowd had formed. And they were really up for it as well. There were a good few requests and every time I played them there would be approving nods, air drumming, air guitarring and the occasional cheer or woo hoo. I ripped through the set and rarely had any trouble choosing the next tune.

It was a nice way to finish off the year and gives me optimism for 2007. The question is will 7 be my lucky number? I have some ideas for January and ways to try and get more people to come in. I have placed flyers all over town. I have been fortunate enough to have it listed in the gig section in the most widely read paper in Dublin and even had a quarter page ad printed in the paper last Friday. Next year, I am going to have posters printed and continue pushing the flyers. But I think last night may prove more successful than all of those things in getting more people in. Word of mouth is extremely convincing and I am hoping that all the lads who were in last night will tell their mates and they will tell their mates etc, etc. Of course it would help if they had seen a flyer or an ad previously because then there is a stronger association.

So, I have another Soul Food World Beats gig on Thursday and then I am on holidays for 2 weeks. No work, no gigs and hopefully lots of r 'n' r to recharge the batteries for 2007.

The set list last night was:

01. Stargazing - Tayla
02. Don't Leave (Floating) - Faithless
03. Me & Mrs Jones - Billy Paul
04. Playing Your Game Baby - Barry White
05. Brown Sugar - Akasha
06. The Sulphur Man (Rebelski Remix) - Doves
07. Waterfall (Justin Robertson's Mix) - Stone Roses
08. Lullaby (Alternate Mix) - The Cure
09. Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now - The Smiths
10. Freedom Of '76 - Ween
11. Forever My Friend - Ray LaMontagne
12. The Great Escape Under The Sea - We Are Scientists
13. Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen) - Baz Luhrmann
14. Suzuki - Tosca
15. Thieves Like Us - New Order
16. Let Me Go - Heaven 17
17. I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend - Ramones
18. Roadrunner - Johnathan Richman & The Modern Lovers
19. Who Loves The Sun - The Velvet Underground
20. Sound & Vision - David Bowie
21. The Light 3000 - Schneider TM vs Kaptain Michi Ga
22. I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow - The Soggy Bottom Boys
23. In The Summertime - Mungo Jerry
24. Get Rhythm - Johnny Cash
25. Stuck On You - Elvis Presley
26. Mean Son Of A Gun - Kitty, Daisy & Lewis
27. Let's Stay Together - Boris Gardiner
28. Speaking Of Happiness - Gloria Lynne
29. Is You Or Is You Ain't My Baby - Dinah Washington
30. Nobody But You - Esther Philips
31. Am I The Same Girl - Barbara Acklin
32. I Idolize You - Ike & Tina Turner
33. Mirrorball - Nightmares On Wax
34. The Girl's Insane - The Januaries
35. Night Fever - Bee Gees
36. Pick Up The Pieces - Average White Band
37. Every 1's A Winner - Hot Chocolate
38. Don't Think - Lali Puna
39. Let's Dance - The Futureheads
40. The Coast Is Always Changing - Maximo Park
41. Welcome To The Working Week - Elvis Costello
42. Is She Really Going Out With Him? - Joe Jackson
43. Sunday Girl - Blondie
44. Swimmers - Broken Social Scene
45. Made Up Love Song #43 - Guillemots
46. Holdin' On Together - Phoenix
47. The Warning - Hot Chip
48. Over And Over Again (Lost And Found) - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
49. The Boy With The Arab Strap - Belle & Sebastian
50. You Didn't Love Me Then - The Hit Parade
51. Forever Lost - The Magic Numbers
52. Wouldn't It Be Nice - The Beach Boys
53. Fresh Feeling - Eels
54. The New Pollution - Beck
55. Chicken Payback - The Bees
56. Consolation Prize - Phoenix
57. Young Folks - Peter Bjorn & John
58. Brakhage - Stereolab
59. Riders On The Storm (Pink Solidism) - Yonderboi
60. I Don't Feel Like Dancin' - Scissor Sisters
61. Da Ya Think I'm Sexy? - Rod Stewart
62. Rappers Delight - Sugarhill Gang
63. Car Wash - Rose Royce
64. Across 110th Street - Bobby Womack
65. Street Life - Randy Crawford
66. Groovin' At The Go-Go - The Four Lads
67. I Want You Back (Z-Trip Remix) - Jackson 5
68. Money (That's What I Want) - Barrett Strong
69. Raspberry Beret - Prince
70. Girlfriend Is Better - Talking Heads
71. Christmas Wrapping - The Waitresses
72. Do They Know It's Christmas? - Band Aid
73. Fariytale Of New York - The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Querido David:
Somos Cristina de Ottawa y Carlos, tu profe de español. Hemos entrado en tu blog por casualidad y nos alegramos mucho de que todo te esté yendo tan bien en Dublín.
Best-best-best-best wishes for 2007!!!!
Muchos besos de los dos.

Cristina y Carlos.

12:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home