Monday, November 27, 2006

The Sitting Room 004

Monday mornings are hard. Especially when it is cold, dark and raining.

I played my fourth Sitting Room gig last night to a decent crowd. There was a steady stream of people in the bar all evening and most of them seemed really happy with the tunes. But I am paying for the effort this morning. I am absolutely shattered. And my laptop is knackered - again...

I use a Creative Extigy external sound card when I DJ so that I can listen to tunes in my headphones before I play them. The internal sound card is set up as the monitoring device and I plug the headphones directly into it. The external sound card is set up as the master device, connects to the mixer via a Y lead and provides the sound for the PA. This set up enables me to control everything (except the master volume) with the DJ software I use. It also allows me to listen to anything I want without disrupting what is being heard through the PA.

On Friday I bought a Creative Live! 24 bit sound card. I figured it was time for an upgrade and the fact that it is only 1/4 the size of the Extigy and doesn't require a power lead means I have less to carry around with me.

Saturday morning I installed the driver and software for it. Saturday night I tested it at a friends house and it worked - no problems.

Last night I got to the bar, set up for the gig, plugged the headphones into the laptop and there was no sound. Typical. I checked all the settings, checked all the leads and rebooted the machine 2 times. Nothing. Fortunately, I was able to ask my girlfriend to bring in the old sound card. After she arrived, I set that up, plugged the headphones in and... no sound! Bollix! I was eventually able to get the sound card working as the master device but the internal one would not work. So, I spent the night just playing songs without listening to them first. It went well but I played conservatively because I didn't want any 'surprises' if I happened to play the wrong tune.

After uninstalling all the Creative software and drivers on my machine, uninstalling the sound card driver, reinstalling the sound card driver and searching all the help files for an answer I still can not get the damn thing working again. It looks like I am going to have to get on to Dell - again. Laptops are such a pain in the arse.

Monday mornings are hard. But they are unbelievably hard without any tunes.

My set list last night was:

01. Lift Off - Groove Collective
02. Playing Your Game Baby - Barry White
03. Superstition (Instrumental) - Ahmad Jamal
04. Sugar - Fun Lovin' Criminals
05. Holdin' On Together - Phoenix
06. Cartwheels - The Reindeer Section
07. Float On - Modest Mouse
08. Where Does The Past End And The Present Begin - Ian O'Brien
09. Kung Fu Fighting - Karl Douglas
10. We Can Work It Out - Stevie Wonder
11. Just My Imagination - Donald Byrd
12. Sweet Jane - The Velvet Underground
13. Brakhage - Stereolab
14. Young Folks - Peter, Bjorn & John
15. The Warning - Hot Chip
16. Over And Over Again (Lost And Found) - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
17. China Girl - David Bowie
18. If She Wants Me - Belle & Sebastian
19. Northern Sky - Nick Drake
20. There's Something About Mary - Johnathan Richman
21. Ring Of Fire - Johnny Cash
22. (You're The) Devil In Disguise
23. Polk Salad Annie - Tony Joe White
24. Ode To Billy Joe - Nancy Wilson
25. Am I The Same Girl - Barbara Acklin
26. Spooky - Dusty Springfield
27. Do You Know The Way To San Jose - Dionne Warwick
28. Danke Shoen - Wayne Newton
29. Fever - Peggy Lee
30. Fly Me To The Moon - Julie London
31. The Lady Is A Tramp - Buddy Greco
32. Dieu Reconnaitra Les Siens - DJ Cam
33. Weak Become Heroes - The Streets
34. Extraordinary People - Harmonic 33
35. One Starry Night (Funk's Drum n Bass Kettle Version)
36. Romeo (Acoustic Version) - Basement Jaxx
37. Hide Me (Al Usher Dance Remix) - Grandadbob
38. Giraffe Walk - Quantic & Mr Scruff
39. No Rhyme No Reason (Black Piggy & Pluton Kid's Remix) - LTJ X-Perience ft Jackson Sloan
40. The Breaks - Kurtis Blow
41. Caribbean Queen (No More Love On The Run) - Billy Ocean
42. Bette Davis Eyes - Kim Carnes
43. Centerfold - J Geils Band
44. Ghostbusters - Ray Parker Jr
45. 17 Days - Prince
46. If It Ain't Broke... Break It! - The Limp Twins
47. Everyday People - Sly & The Family Stone
48. Let's Get It On (Simpson & Dalto MPG Groove Mix) - Marvin Gaye
49. Yes It's True - Taxi
50. Fry Chicken In Your Hotpants - Clarence Foster & The Internal Revenue
51. Soul Freedom - Ray & His Court
52. Lady (You Bring Me Up) - The Commodores
53. Borderline - Madonna
54. Just Like Heaven - The Cure
55. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out - The Smiths
56. What The World Is Waiting For - Stone Roses
57. Still Here - Aural Float
58. At Night (Afterlife Mix) - Shakedown
59. It's My Life - Talk Talk
60. Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve
61. Hallelujah Here She Comes - U2
62. I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow - The Soggy Bottom Boys
63. No Depression In Heaven - The Carter Family
64. One - Ohm G & Bruno
65. La La Means I Love You - The Delfonics
66. My Head Is My Only House Unless It Rains - EBTG
67. Bizarre Love Triangle - Frente

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

So I finally got my PC sound problem fixed (not only laptops fuck up, PCs too and most people will) and I´m right now halfways through Digital Kicks 5 and it´s slick indeed, I already downloaded 6 and 7. I haven´t payed enough attention this time (as usual when playing while surfing) but my favourite discovery at the moment is the calypso cover of "Cars", haha. Thank you for sharing your "labour of love".
j.

12:38 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Here for the Nick Lowe quotation a link with my night discovery, one knocker by Rockpile that I hadn´t heard with a fantastic Billy Bremner singing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJZfOZrZYmw&mode=related&search=

Might be rockier than most of the stuff you play but heck, this is pub rock and you are in Dublin.

12:46 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

(Nick Lowe´s was "Labour OF LUST", me dweeb!). And here a pop classic from the man himself (man, is Youtube addictive):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nik8pzThvWU&NR

1:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home