Wednesday, December 20, 2006

2006 Crackin' Christmas Countdown

And so, it has been tradition for many, many years in Dublin that the lads sit down, have a think and choose their 'Best Of' for the last 12 months. I have been reading / taking part for the last few years and this year I decided to post all of my choices for everyone to see.

I give you The Best Of 2006:

Albums

Bande A Part: Nouvelle Vague - The second offering by the French outfit that isn't quite as strong as the first but still stands above a lot of the albums released this year. The Cramps and Heaven 17 never sounded so cool.

The Afterlife Lounge: Afterlife - The latest album by 'the lads' from Ibiza. A couple of boffin producers plus Cathy Battistessa on vocals equals total quality. The disc features compilations with all the big names in Ibiza and never fails to chill.

News & Tributes: The Futureheads - Bigger, faster, stronger and sexier than The Futureheads. It has enabled me to keep my faith in rock music for a little while longer.

With Love And Squalor / Crap Attack: We Are Scientists - The debut album by the American group from New York. I have also listed Crap Attack as it is a great disc of B-sides, remixes and covers that together with the album offers a nice body of work. In the day of the 'next big thing' being released and applauded nearly every 2 weeks, these guys may actually stand the test of time. Just good old fashioned rock music played by dudes who take the piss out of everything (especially themselves).

Compilations

Big Chill Classics (Compiled By Mr Scruff) - A wonderful compilation by a regular at the Big Chill festival since it started in 1995. The festival takes place every August in Herefordshire and features a 'leave no trace' policy in an attempt to preserve the land as it is normally used as a deer reserve. Mr Scruff has a good ear and knows how to 'dig out' some really quality tunes. Several tracks from this collection feature in my gigs such as 'Our Lives Are Shaped By What We Love' by Odyssey (the rock outfit, not the disco outfit), 'Back A Yard' by 'The In Crowd', 'Everybody Loves The Sunshine' by D'Angelo and 'Moondance' by Grady Tate.

Cafe Mambo Ibiza 2006 - Pete Gooding decided to pack his records up and leave Cafe Mambo at the end of last summer after a 10 year residency. I'm not sure why he left but fortunately he is still releasing CDs. Earlier this year he teamed up with Afterlife to compile the latest version of the Mambo series CD. And to my surprise he didn't mix it! Maybe he saw no need now that he is retired but I finally was able to get my hands on some really hard to find tracks that aren't lost in a DJ mix. It is quite reflective of his sets in Mambo and includes lounge, chill out, soul and house tracks. Most of them you wouldn't hear or find anywhere else. The stand out track (and one of my favourite that is featured in most of my sets) is 'Crik Crack' by The Lovers.

Cafe Solo: Jose Padilla - Unfortunately it is a mix album but it was put together by the legend Jose Padilla. He was the first DJ to play in Cafe Del Mar, invent chill out and put Ibiza on the map. He even recognised where it was going to go and legged it the summer after Pete Tong played there for the very first time. His ability to find the best tunes from every single genre under the sun is second to none. Mixed or not, I buy every single CD released with his name on it.

Esudio Del Mar - I don't know much about this other than it has Ayia Napa stamped on the front of it and was released by a German label called XYZed Music. I found it in Abbey Discs on Lower Liffey Street where all sorts of treasures can be unearthed for those who are willing to take the time and look. It hardly ever left my CD player this summer and was my first choice for after hours listening. I have played several tracks from it in my Sitting Room sets especially 'Bedtime' by Naoki Kenji and 'Still Here' by Aural Float.

Right Time Wrong Speed 1977-1987 - The latest John Peel tribute disc released in October to mark the second anniversary of his death. It's two discs of everything that he loved including punk, folk, reggae, hip-hop and Britpop. Not a duff track in sight. The highlight is 'O Superman' by Laurie Anderson. A track that I loved when it was released in 1982 but have been unable to find on CD ever since.

Serve Chilled: A Return To The Brighter Side Of Chill - A return to the style that started Hed Kandi records in 1999. When the founder of the label, Mark Doyle, left last year there were a lot of people scratching their heads wondering what would become of Hed Kandi. Fortunately they have carried on and released some of their best compilations ever this year. Serve Chilled was the very first compilation and this one is nearly as good. It's focus is a bit broader than previous versions so the boundaries of 'chill' are sometimes a bit blurry but almost everything included on here is pure quality. 'Crazy Girls' by True Stories has gotten the most play during my Sitting Room sets.

Songs

Binary Love: The Rakes - The bright spot from their album 'Capture / Release'. They have been compared to Joy Division, Wire, Bloc Party, The Clash, Buzzcocks, well, you get the idea. One of my favourite tunes of the year.

Crazy: Gnarles Barkley - The coolest pop song in recent memory. I even heard it played at Cafe Del Mar in August.

Get Together: Madonna - Yes, I know it is Madonna. And no, I am not a fan of her last album. In fact I think it is terrible. But this is a great track - one that I am sure appeals to a lot of house heads like myself.

Hide Me (Al Usher Dance Remix): Grandadbob - A gorgeous song. It is the track I discovered on the Es Vive mix CD released by Mark Doyle this summer. It is also the first track that I downloaded after joining emusic.com. It is the track that I have played the most at The Sitting Room. And it is the track that most reminds me of my summer with Zoe. All in all, my song of the year.

I Don't Feel Like Dancin': Scissor Sisters - Pure, quality cheese. It's camp and every one loves it. A guaranteed crowd pleaser that appeals to everyone from 20 to 60.

In The Morning: Razorlight - One of the better tunes from the whole generation of new New Wave bands.

It Hurts To See You Dance So Well: The Pipettes - It wasn't a single but it should have been. One minute & eleven seconds of pure pop mag-ic from the girls who are obsessed with Phil Spector. And they are from Brighton. The coolest girl group since The Go-Gos.

Over And Over Again (Lost And Found): Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - American geeks who are a total throw back to 80s New Wave. Your man has the edgiest voice since David Byrne. A Sitting Room classic.

Rally: Phoenix - Going slightly against the grain, I will choose this instead of 'Consolation Prize' from the quirkiest French band ever.

The Warning: Hot Chip - Great track from a couple of lads based in London who like making music with computers. Also, one of my favourite tracks to play at The Sitting Room.

True Love Weighs A Tonne: The Research - Melancholy track from a UK band that sound almost exactly like The Monroes (if you remember your obscure New Wave bands). A gem of a song that I found buried on some Indie compilation.

You Only Live Once: The Strokes - Not actually a single. But definitely the best track on their third (and very disappointing) album First Impressions Of Earth.

Young Folks: Peter, Bjorn & John - That 'whistle' song that was in the Budweiser ad. The tune that you just CAN'T get out of your head every time you hear it.

DJ Kub Gigs

Bar Cock 008 - The gig that Prince Felipe came to. Yes, the actual Prince of Spain. Not too many DJs can make that claim. And no, I did not play anything by Prince. Nor did I play 'God Save The Queen'.

The Brazil Gig - The make benefit gig for the girls in Harrington Street Garda Club. Despite the unlikely venue, it was a great night. Lots of food, drinks, dancing and laughs. And of course loads of dosh raised for their trip.

Carnival - The birthday gig for Michelle & Viv. And of course the night that I met Zed. It was a bit of a messy night but everyone had a great time and it produced Dublin's 'sexiest' couple.

The Sitting Room 001 - The gig that started my current residency in Bia Bar. It was on the 5th of November and was a really good night. Lots of people turned up to support me and everyone enjoyed the set.

Soul Food 001 - My 'breakthrough' gig in Bia. After two months of ground work I was given the nod and played my first gig for Remedy on the 17th of August. It went so well that the lads told me to keep playing and I ended up doing an extra 40 minutes.

Professional Gigs

GMF - The mother fuckin' legend. No need to say anything else. Check out the post 'I Was There. I Saw The Legend'.

Maximo Park - A fantastic gig in The Olympia. Their performance was incredible and meeting them all afterwards wasn't too bad either. The full story is posted as 'Maximo Park In The Olympia'.

Ned's / Keb Darge - Finally, I got to see the 'baggy' legends in Kentish Town (not quite Kent). It was one of the best weekends of the summer that provided loads of laughs and of course the 'birth' of Kub. The Ned's gig was followed by a Keb Darge set. Thanks to the quality tunes and a whole lot of Red Stripe the infamous Kub vs. Keb story occurred. You can read all of the sordid details under 'Kub vs. Keb'.

Paul Buchanan - A wonderfully surprising gig in Vicar Street. I have always been a big fan of Blue Nile so I jumped at the chance to see Paul. I was blown away. He and the band were phenomenal and they played all of the best Nile songs. Perhaps the most chilled out gig I have ever been too as everyone was seated and quietly sipping bottles of wine throughout.

Radiohead - I went to see them in Marlay Park. Although they were very good they didn't do much to lift my spirits. At least it didn't rain.

Films

Borat - What is there to say about this film other than it is best film in 2006 for make laughter in people. I like very, very much.

Little Miss Sunshine - A very critically acclaimed film that can make you want to burst into tears and then laugh hysterically all in the space of about 45 seconds.

The Departed - Finally, Scorsese is back on form! A brilliant film that actually has made me begin to like Leo Dicaprio. Jack Nicholson, Alec Baldwin and Mark Wahlberg are all outstanding as well.

Mmm... Of The Year

* Buying a decent road bike
* Cycling to work again
* Discovering The Wedding Present
* DJing and promoting my own night in Dublin
* Drinking double vodkas & tonic
* Figuring out how to create a podcast
* Finding the 'Manchester' bar in Barcelona
* Going to Brighton for the first time
* Hearing Pete Tong play in Cafe Mambo in August
* Learning how to cook
* Meeting Zoe and being able to spend time with her
* Seeing the 'real' Ibiza by renting a car and driving all around it
* Signing up with emusic.com
* Spending May in The States with my family & friends
* Starting this blog
* Studying photography in The Gallery Of Photography
* Supping my first Guinness in The Pub in Achill during Easter weekend - truly manna from heaven
* Renting my own gaff in Dublin
* Taking another Spanish class and actually understanding what the hell is going on in class
* Watching the sunset at Cafe Del Mar in August

Aaarrrggghh... Of The Year

* Dublin Bus
* Dublin taxis
* Having to replace 2 motherboards and another screen on my laptop
* (Fucking) HP
* Injuring my heel while running in June and not being able to run since
* (Fucking) Madrid
* Operation Puerto & The Floyd Landis scandal - now NO ONE trusts cycling and EVERYONE thinks that EVERY cyclist they see is on drugs
* Receiving a spanner as my Kris Kindle gift from some fecker in the office
* Trying to race my bike in America for the first time in about 4 years

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Querido David:
Somos Cristina de Ottawa y Carlos, tu profe de español. Hemos entrado en tu blog por casualidad y nos alegramos mucho de que todo te esté yendo tan bien en Dublín.
Best-best-best-best wishes for 2007!!!!
Muchos besos de los dos.

Cristina y Carlos.

12:21 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home