Friday, January 12, 2007

Reading, Writing And Listening

So, it's a new year and that offers the promise of many new, exciting and interesting things in every one's life. I am back after a long break from Blog Rockin' Beats and am looking forward to several things this year.

Like most people, I make a few resolutions each new year and (also like most people) don't really keep them. I try for a bit but then get bored or distracted and just stop trying. However, one thing that I have promised myself is to read more this year. I used to love to read and somehow in the last couple of years I have just stopped. I find myself with little to no free time and have been unable to make my way through any book that I have started.

But it is a new year and I am going to try again. Another resolution I have for myself is to listen to more albums. The invention of the iPod and my busy DJing schedule have left me with very little time to put aside and enjoy an album from start to finish - the way an artist intends for you to hear their work.

In a clever move, I found a way to remain true to both of these resolutions. I bought the book 'Fear Of Music: The 261 Greatest Albums Since Punk And Disco', written by Garry Mulholland. He is a music journalist who wrote 'This Is Uncool: The 500 Greatest Singles Since Punk And Disco' in the early 2000s. I really enjoy his style and although I would never agree with all of his picks for either book they are both very entertaining. He has the ability to mix personal anecdotes, historical references, facts and figures into each of the essays he writes for every album and single.

In skimming through the book, I found that I have nearly half of the albums that Garry has chosen as the best of the last 30 years. The other half contains albums that I can not wait to buy and listen to, albums that I might buy and listen to and albums that I would never ever buy or listen to.

And you, my fortunate readers, will benefit from my resolutions because I plan to post something on this blog about all the worthwhile albums that I listen to.

Happy 2007. Keep reading BRB and keep listening to quality tunes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

They seem sensible resolutions. I try to make myself only one new year resolution but I was just but starting to comit to last year´s (to get in good shape) so now I have at least two. I´ll keep passing by, thanks for the cool mixes, I enjoy your DJing ramblings ...and wish you a happy new year. -Javier

5:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home